The Hitchin Beer and Cider festival was held on the 18th and 19th of March. This festival, jointly run by North Herts CAMRA and the Hitchin Round Table, was a tremendous success as usual.
During the festival 2175 people (not including volunteers) consumed:
- 96% of the beer
- over 8400 pints of beer
- around 1000 pints of cider and perry
- nearly 1000 bottles of foreign beer
- all the food (we’ll try to ensure that there is more next time!)
I believe that most, if not all, of those numbers are record-breakers.
Importantly, at the close of the festival we announced the beer and cider of the festival… the winners were:
- Beer: Redemption Brewing Company – Trinity – 3% – “Pale mild brewed with 3 malts and 3 hops. Generous late hopping provides Seville orange aromas and initial malt sweetness is dominated by citrus flavours which explode on the palate. Brewed with plenty of malt to provide decent body, so it has some backbone for a low abv beer. Pronounced bitterness throughout.“
- Cider: Gwynt y Ddraig – Black Dragon – 7.2%, medium – “Matured in oak barrels to produce a cider rich in colour, body and flavour with a fresh fruity aroma.“
You’ll can read our full report while enjoying a pint when the next Hertfordshire Pints of View newsletter hits your local pub.